Simulated device: ISCCP, CALIPSO, CloudSat, MODIS
Contact: (within HD(CP)²) Christine Nam (email@example.com)
cloud fraction, sunlit fraction, Lidar (CALIPSO) high, mid, and lowlevel cloud fractions, ISCCP total cloud area fraction, cloud top pressure (Pa), cloud albedo, optical thickness tau
|Column or 3D?
|Operation on model time step?
|| Operates based on one model time step
|| netcdf, GRIB, HDF-5
|| FORTRAN90 or FORTRAN2003
|If online, is it modular?
|| Online and modular
|Ground-based or space-borne?
|| space-borne (ground-based is possible for some instruments)
Minimum set of physical quantities:
- Profiles of temperature, pressure, geometric altitude of model levels (and half-levels), geopotential height (and half-levels), specific humidity,
- total/convective cloud amount, mixing ratio of cloud water and cloud ice, fractional surface coverage (ice, water, land) and corresponding surface temperatures, surface pressure,
- effective radius of ice and liquid particles, flux of rain, snow, graupel, assumed lidar ice shape (spherical), sunlit region, optical depth of statiform/convective clouds at 0.67micron, longwave emissivity of stratiform/convective clouds at 10.5microns, and model cloud overlap assumption,
- offline: the hydrometeor spectrum
Need for a special grid?
- No special grid necessary.
Are parameters given via namelist or have to be coded?
Are there special requirements to the input quantities?
Documentation: yes (http://cfmip.metoffice.com/COSP.html)
Models for application: at least ECHAM5, ECHAM6, CNRM, IPSL/LMD, HADGEM, CANAM, CAM, etc...
Suitable for MESSy?:
Format of input data:
Format of output data: netcdf or GRIB or HDF-5
Computational costs: Depends on calling frequency. If it's called in every time step around the same as the host model itself.
"COSP is now managed by a Project Management Committee (PMC), that consists of the following members: Y. Zhang, M. J. Webb, R. Pincus, R. Marchand, S. A. Klein (co-chair), V. O. John, J. M. Haynes, J.-L. Dufresne, H. Chepfer, S. Bony, and A. Bodas-Salcedo (co-chair). "