This data set is only available for a restricted user group, please contact us if you want to access these data.
Coverage, spatial and temporal resolution
Period and temporal resolution:
- Daily: 1980-01-01 to 2018-12-31
- Monthly: 1980-01 to 2018-12
Coverage and spatial resolution:
- Spatial resolution: 0.25° x 0.25°, Climate modeling grid
- Geographic longitude: 179.875°W to 179.875°E
- Geographic latitude: 89.875°S to 89.875°N
- Dimension: 720 rows x 1440 columns
- Altitude: following terrain
This data set does not contain any uncertainty information.
Details about the accuracy and the representativity of the data sets can be found under www.GLEAM.eu and in the README document. The latter includes, for instance, a list of relevant literature, which is extended compared to the references, an overview about the input data sets in Table 1, and information about the most relevant changes compared to version v3.2 and version v3.1.
Among the possibly most relevant changes are (v3.3a versus v3.2a):
- Usage of ERA5 instead of ERA-Interim
- Usage of dyanmic land cover information (MEaSUREs Vegetation Continuous Fraction)
- Usage of ESA-CCI soil moisture version v4.5
- Provision of monthly and yearly data products
Among the possibly most relevant changes were (v3.2a versus v3.1a):
- an improved hydrodynamic module
- utilization of MSWEP v2.2 instead of v1.2 for precipitation
- updating the ESA-CCI soil moisture information to v4.3 instead of v2.3.
Department of Forest and Water Management
GHent University, Gent, Belgium
email: brecht.martens (at) ugent.be
ICDC / CEN / University of Hamburg
email: stefan.kern (at) uni-hamburg.de
Upon using this data please cite as follows:
Martens, B., Miralles, D. G., Lievens, H., van der Schalie, R., de Jeu, R. A. M., Fernandez-Prieto, D., Beck, H. E., Dorigo, W. A., and Verhoest, N. E. C., GLEAM v3: satellite-based land evaporation and root-zone soil moisture, Geoscientific Model Development, 10, 1903-1925, doi:10.5194/gmp-10-1903-2017, 2017
Miralles, D. G., Holmes, T. R. H., De Jeu, R. A. M., Gash, J. H., Meesters, A. G. C. A., and Dolman, A. J., Global land-surface evaporation estimates from satellite-based observations, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 15, 453-469, doi:10.5194/hess-15-453-2011, 2011
GLEAM v3.3a accessed from www.GLEAM.eu May 8 2019, provided with transposed coordinates as daily files comprising all parameters by the Integrated Climate Data Center (ICDC, icdc.cen.uni-hamburg.de)