This data set is only available for a restricted user group, please contact us if you want to access these data.
Coverage, spatial and temporal resolution
Period and temporal resolution:
- 2000-02 until 2019-02
- Daily 16-day-composite, valid for the 1st day of the 2nd 8-day period
Missing days: June 24./25. 2001.
Coverage and spatial resolution:
- Spatial resolution: 0.05° x 0.05° (about 5600 m, Climate Modeling Grid)
- Geographical longitude: 179.975°W to 179.975°E
- Geographical latitude: 89.975°S to 89.975°N
- Dimension: 3600 rows x 7200 columns
- Altitude: Following topography
The data offered here are in netCDF format. These include, in addition to the white sky albedo (reflection of diffuse radiation) its difference to the black sky albedo (reflection of direct radiation), a quality flag giving information about the quality of the inversion, the local solar noon, the percentage snow cover fraction, the BRDF-albedo retrieval uncertainty and the percentage number of valid, high-resolution data per grid cell.
For better understanding: white sky albedo --> isotropic incident radiation from all directions assuming no direct sunlight; black sky albedo --> direct radiation from only a given solar geometry.
Original data are available in HDF-EOS Format. These data include in addition the reflectance values for each channel, the white & black sky albedo calculated separately for the visible and near infrared part of the spectrum.
This data set, based on MODIS collection 006 data, features a number of improvements:
- Input reflectances are calibrated better and have improved long-term consistency
- Improved background information such as land cover (now from collection 5 instead of collection 4)
- More input data in high geographic latitudes
- In case of a snow cover the snow cover of the actual day is used (instead of before from the entire 16-day period)
Attention! The original data set has been modified by us (ICDC). The land mask of the original data set was incomplete, i.e. showed land surface albedo values over open water areas, e.g. the North Sea. We have corrected this bug by including the land-water distribution provided on the same grid in the MODIS land cover type data set.
For more information please refer to the references.
LP DAAC User Services
U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
Center for Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS)
email: LPDAAC (at) eos.nasa.gov
ICDC / CEN / University of Hamburg
email: stefan.kern (at) uni-hamburg.de
- Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document (ATBD)
- User Guide: https://www.umb.edu/spectralmass/terra_aqua_modis/v006
- Cescatti, A., et al., Intercomparison of MODIS albedo retrievals and in situ measurements across the global FLUXNET network, Rem. Sens. Environ., 121, 323-334, 2012.
- Wang, Z., et al., Evaluation of MODIS albedo product (MCD43A) over grassland, agriculture and forest surface types during dormant and snow-covered periods, Rem. Sens. Environ., 140, 60-77, 2014.
- He, T., S. Liang, and D.-X. Song, Analysis of global land surface albedo climatology and spatial-temporal variation during 1981-2010 from multiple satellite products, J. Geophys. Res. - Atmospheres, 119, 10281-10298, 2014.
- Mira, M., et al., The MODIS (collection V006) BRDF/albedo product MCD43D: Temporal course evaluated over agricultural landscape, Rem. Sens. Environ., 170, 216-228, 2015.
Estimation and evaluation of the daily mean land surface albedo:
- Wang, D., S. Liang, T. He, Y. Yu, C. Schaaf, and Z. Wang, Estimating daily mean land surface albedo from MODIS data, J. Geophys. Res. - Atmospheres, 120, 4825-4841, 2015
How to cite when using the data:
C. Schaaf, and Z. Wang, 2015, MCD43C3 MODIS/Terra+Aqua BRDF/Albedo Albedo Daily L3 Global 0.05 Deg CMG V006. NASA EOSDIS Land Processes DAAC: doi.org/10.5067/MODIS/MCD43C3.006, last access date: 20/3/2019.
Please note the source in your acknowledgements:
These data were provided in netCDF file format by the Integrated Climate Data Center (ICDC, http://icdc.cen.uni-hamburg.de), University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany.