RESTRICTED only accessable in CEN/MPI network or via CliSAP login What does that mean?
Data access via file system: /data/icdc/atmosphere/gpcc_full_data_reanalysis
The Global Precipitation Climatology Centre (GPCC) is operated by the German Weather Service (DWD) under the auspices of the World Meteorologic Organization (WMO). It has the task of collecting global in-situ precipitation data to produce quantitative global precipitation and water balance analyses.
The "GPCC Full Data Reanalysis" contains sums of precipitation over land and is more than one hundred years long: It starts in 1891 and ends in 2016 (Version 2018). For this reanalysis quality controlled data from all globally available land stations (rain gauges) are used. The number of stations that were used to create the gridded data set has spatial and temporal variations, and is therefore included in the data set as a variable. The gridded final data set is optimized for best spatial coverage and use in water balance estimations and was used for trend analysis. This GPCC reanalysis has a higher accuracy in the precipitation data than the near real time products such as the GPCC Monitoring Product, that is available at ICDC as well. More detailed information on the methods applied for the preparation and interpolation of the original data can be taken from the cited literature.
The "GPCC Full Data Reanalysis" is available in three spatial resolutions. ICDC has provided the highest resolution of 0.25 °.
|Sum of precipitation||mm/Month|
|Number of gauges per grid||Number|
Period and temporal resolution:
- 01/1891 to 12/2016
Coverage and spatial resolution:
- Global, over land
- Spatial resolution: 0.25° x 0.25°, cartesian grid
- Geographic longitude: -180°E to 180°E
- Geographic latitude: -90°N to 90°N
- Dimension: 1440 columns x 720 rows
- Altitude: following terrain
The high quality of the data is assured by the DWD. It is the most accurate data set of the GPCC. Users of the gridded data sets should take into account the number of gauges per gridpoint. According to GPCC, this data set is suitable for regional climate monitoring, model validation, analysis of climate variability and water availability. The monthly precipitation data have been checked statistically and the data flagged as questionable passed through an additional visual quality-control. In addition to that the monthly precipitation data have been checked for spatial and temporal homogeneity. More detailed information is available in the stated references.
Herr Dr. Andreas Becker (Leiter des WZN)
Weltzentrum für Niederschlagsklimatologie
c/o Deutscher Wetterdienst
Postfach 10 04 65
63004 Offenbach am Main
Tel.: +49 (0)69 / 8062-2900
Fax: +49 (0)69 / 8062-3987
email: gpcc (at) dwd.de
Name: Annika Jahnke-Bornemann
Institute: ICDC, CEN, Universität Hamburg
Email: annika.jahnke-bornemann (at) uni-hamburg.de
- Weather and Climate - Deutscher Wetterdienst -- Klimadatenzentrum-WZN
- GPCC Full Data Reanalysis Version 2018 Download
- "Global gridded precipitation over land: a description of the new GPCC First Guess Daily product" K. Schamm, M. Ziese, A. Becker, P. Finger, A. Meyer-Christoffer, U. Schneider, M. Schröder, and P. Stender in Earth System Science Data, DOI: 10.5194/essd-6-49-2014
- "Evaluating the hydrological cycle over land using the newly-corrected precipitation climatology from the Global Precipitation Climatology Centre (GPCC)" U. Schneider, P. Finger, A. Meyer-Christoffer, E. Rustemeier, M. Ziese, and A. Becker, 2017: Global Precipitation Climatology Centre, Deutscher Wetterdienst, Offenbach, Germany in Atmosphere, 8 (3), 52, DOI: 10.3390/atmos8030052
- Schneider, U., A. Becker, P. Finger, A. Meyer-Christoffer, M. Ziese, B. Rudolf (2013): "GPCC's new land surface precipitation climatology based on quality-controlled in situ data and its role in quantifying the global water cycle", Global Precipitation Climatology Centre, Deutscher Wetterdienst, Offenbach, Germany, in Theoretical and Applied Climatology, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00704-013-0860-x
- Becker, A., P. Finger, A. Meyer-Christoffer, B. Rudolf, K. Schamm, U. Schneider, and M. Ziese (2013): "A description of the global land-surface precipitation data products of the Global Precipitation Climatology Centre with sample applications including centennial (trend) analysis from 1901–present", Global Precipitation Climatology Centre, Deutscher Wetterdienst, Offenbach, Germany, in Earth System Science Data, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/essd-5-71-2013
- "The GPCC Drought Index - a new, combined and gridded global drought index" M. Ziese, U. Schneider, A. Meyer-Christoffer, K. Schamm, J. Vido, P. Finger, P. Bissoli, S.Pietsch, A. Becker in Earth System Science Data, DOI: 10.5194/essd-6-285-2014
Users of the GPCC datasets are asked for feedback to DWD about usage. Cite the following:
- Schneider, Udo; Becker, Andreas; Finger, Peter; Meyer-Christoffer, Anja; Ziese, Markus (2018): GPCC Full Data Monthly Product Version 2018 at 0.25°: Monthly Land-Surface Precipitation from Rain-Gauges built on GTS-based and Historical Data. DOI: 10.5676/DWD_GPCC/FD_M_V2018_025