RESTRICTED only accessable in CEN/MPI network or via CliSAP login What does that mean?
Data access via file system: /data/icdc/atmosphere/gpcc_monitoring_product
The Global Precipitation Climatology Centre (GPCC) is operated by the German Weather Service (DWD) under the auspices of the World Meteorologic Organization. It's mission is to collect global in-situ precipitation data to produce quantitative global precipitation analyses and water balance studies.
For the "GPCC Monitoring Product", quality-controlled station data from worldwide routine measurements (7000 to 9000 SYNOP and CLIMAT reports per month) are used to calculate the monthly precipitation over land areas. It is a routinely monthly gridded dataset that is updated on a continuous basis so that data is available approximately 2 months before the current date.
The monitoring product was calculated on the basis of GPCC's associated global precipitation climatology, which includes tens of thousands of stations, each of which relates to a specific period of time. The new Monitoring Product (V.6) was calculated by using the "Global Precipitation Climatology" (v. 2018, based on climatological normals for approximately 79,200 stations) for the period 1951-2000 as background climatology for anomaly analysis.
The GPCC Monitoring Product is suitable for all applications, that need gridded, monthly near-realtime data of high quality, such as comparisons with current satellite data.
In addition, we also have added the "GPCC Full Data Re-Analysis" to the ICDC collection, which has a higher data quality than the data monitoring product, but has not the near realtime availability.
|Sum of precipitation||mm/Month|
|Number of gauges per grid||Number|
|Proportion of solid precipitation||%|
|Proportion of liquid precipitation||%|
|Absolute systematic gauge error||mm/Month|
|Relative systematic gauge error||%|
|Systematic gauge error correction factor||Factor 1 to 3|
Period and temporal resolution:
- 01/1982 to 3 months before now
Coverage and spatial resolution:
- Global, over land
- Spatial resolution: 1° x 1°, cartesian grid
- Geographic longitude: 0°E to 360°E
- Geographic latitude: -90°N to 90°N
- Dimension: 360 columns x 180 rows
- Altitude: following terrain
The high quality of the data is assured by the DWD. The data contain error information starting at year 2007. Users of the gridded data sets should take into account the number of gauges per gridpoint and should apply the recommended correction factors for systematic errors.
Herr Dr. Andreas Becker (Leiter des WZN)
Weltzentrum für Niederschlagsklimatologie
c/o Deutscher Wetterdienst
Postfach 10 04 65
63004 Offenbach am Main
Tel.: +49 (0)69 / 8062-2900
Fax: +49 (0)69 / 8062-3987
email: gpcc (at) dwd.de
Name: Annika Jahnke-Bornemann
Institute: ICDC, CEN, Universität Hamburg
Email: annika.jahnke-bornemann (at) uni-hamburg.de
- Weather and Climate - Deutscher Wetterdienst -- Klimadatenzentrum-WZN
- GPCC Homepage
- GPCC Monitoring Product Version 6
- "Global gridded precipitation over land: a description of the new GPCC First Guess Daily product", K. Schamm, M. Ziese, A. Becker, P. Finger, A. Meyer-Christoffer, U. Schneider, M. Schröder, and P. Stender in Earth System Science Data, DOI: 10.5194/essd-6-49-2014
- "Evaluating the hydrological cycle over land using the newly-corrected precipitation climatology from the Global Precipitation Climatology Centre (GPCC)", U. Schneider, P. Finger, A. Meyer-Christoffer, E. Rustemeier, M. Ziese, and A. Becker, 2017: Global Precipitation Climatology Centre, Deutscher Wetterdienst, Offenbach, Germany in Atmosphere, 8 (3), 52, DOI: 10.3390/atmos8030052
- "GPCC's new land surface precipitation climatology based on quality-controlled in situ data and its role in quantifying the global water cycle", U. Schneider, A. Becker, P. Finger, A. Meyer-Christoffer, M. Ziese, B. Rudolf, Global Precipitation Climatology Centre, Deutscher Wetterdienst, Offenbach, Germany, in Theoretical and Applied Climatology, DOI: 10.1007/s00704-013-0860-x
- "A description of the global land-surface precipitation data products of the Global Precipitation Climatology Centre with sample applications including centennial (trend) analysis from 1901-present", A. Becker, P. Finger, A. Meyer-Christoffer, B. Rudolf, K. Schamm, U. Schneider, and M. Ziese, Global Precipitation Climatology Centre, Deutscher Wetterdienst, Offenbach, Germany, in Earth System Science Data, DOI: 10.5194/essd-5-71-2013
- "The GPCC Drought Index - a new, combined and gridded global drought index", M. Ziese, U. Schneider, A. Meyer-Christoffer, K. Schamm, J. Vido, P. Finger, P. Bissoli, S. Pietsch, A. Becker, in Earth System Science Data, DOI: 10.5194/essd-6-285-2014
Users of the GPCC datasets are asked for feedback to DWD about usage. Cite the following:
- Schneider, Udo; Becker, Andreas; Finger, Peter; Meyer-Christoffer, Anja; Ziese, Markus (2018): GPCC Monitoring Product: Near Real-Time Monthly Land-Surface Precipitation from Rain-Gauges based on SYNOP and CLIMAT data. DOI: 10.5676/DWD_GPCC/MP_M_V6_100; http://dx.doi.org/10.5676/DWD_GPCC/MP_M_V6_100