This data set is only available for a restricted user group, please contact us if you want to access these data.
RESTRICTED only accessable in CEN/MPI net or via CliSAP login What does that mean?
This is the fully reprocessed EUMETSAT Ocean and Sea Ice Satellite Application Facility (OSI SAF) team Sea-Ice Concentration (SIC) Climate Data Record (CDR) OSI-450 and its extension, the interim CDR (ICDR) OSI-430-b. Processing chains are identical for OSI-450 and OSI-430-b. Sea-ice concentrations over the polar regions are derived from passive microwave satellite data of SMMR, SSM/I and SSMIS, covering years 1979 to 2020. More recent ICDR data extending this data set to toady minus 16 days is available here: http://osisaf.met.no/p/ice/ice_conc_cdr_v2.html.
The basic principles and methodologies that were the backbone of the previous CDR (OSI-409) are still featured in OSI-450 (e.g. atmospheric correction of brightness temperature with NWP re-analysis data, state of the art algorithms, dynamic tie-points, uncertainties, etc...). They were nevertheless all revisited for this new release, through dedicated R&D in the OSI SAF project and in the ESA Climate Change Initiative (http://cci.esa.int) Sea Ice projects (see also the SICCI-webpage at ICDC), whose contribution is acknowledged. Key improvements embedded in OSI-450 are more accurate and stable algorithms, open water filters to limit false ice detection over the ocean, and more realistic uncertainty estimates.
The Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document (ATBD), the Product User Manual and the Validation Report give details about the sea-ice concentration retrieval, additional filters, optimization procedures, and the error estimation as well as some aspects about the validation. We also refer to the references.
Last update of data set at ICDC: September 3 2020
|Main (filtered) sea-ice concentration||0% ... 100%|
|Raw sea-ice concentration||< 0% ... > 100%|
|Total uncertainty (total standard error)||0% ... 100%|
|Smearing uncertainty (smearing standard error)||0% ... 100%|
|Retrieval uncertainty (algorithm standard error)||0% ... 100%|
|Status flag (bit coded)||0 ... 255 (see Product User Manual, page 15)|
Period and temporal resolution:
- 1979-01-01 to 1987-08-20
- Every other day
- 1987-08-21 to 2020-07-31 (CDR until 2015-12-31, ICDR afterwards)
Missing days are given in the Product User Manual.
Coverage and spatial resolution:
- Northern and Southern Hemisphere
- Spatial resolution: 25 km x 25 km, EASE2 grid (see http://nsidc.org/data/ease/)
- Geographic longitude: 0°E to 360°E
- Geographic latitude: about 41°N and 41°S to 90°N and 90°S, respectively, coverage is larger in the grid corners
- Dimensions: 432 columns x 432 rows
- Altitude: 0.0 m
For each grid cell and each available day an error estimate and a status flag is given.
The error estimates describe the uncertainty inherent in the retrieval, i.e. due to the input data used, and from the tie points and the uncertainties caused by gridding sea-ice concentrations which are computed at footprint level into the used EASE2 grid.
The status flag provides information about the surface type and whether values are the originally retrieved ones or whether they are the result of flagging and/or interpolation.
The unfiltered sea-ice concentration data set is for the more advanced users (see the Product Users Manual).
Norwegian Meteorological Institute (met.no)
email: thomas.lavergne (at) met.no
ICDC / CEN / University of Hamburg
email: stefan.kern (at) uni-hamburg.de
Norwegian Meteorological Institute
email: osisaf-manager (at) met.no
- Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document (ATBD)
- Product User Manual
- Validation Report
- Lavergne, T., et al., 2019, Version 2 of the EUMETSAT OSI SAF and ESA CCI Sea Ice Concentration Climate Data Records, The Cryosphere, 13(1), 49-78, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-2018-127
- Kern, S., et al., 2019, Satellite Passive Microwave Sea-Ice concentration data set inter-comparison: Closed ice and ship-based observations, The Cryosphere, 13(12), 3261-3307, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-13-3261-2019.
- Kern, S., et al., 2020, Satellite passive microwave sea-ice concentation data set intercomparison for Arctic summer conditions, The Cryosphere, 14(7), 2469-2493, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-14-2469-2020.
EUMETSAT Ocean and Sea Ice Satelitte Application Facility. Global sea ice concentration [interim] climate data record 1979-2015 (v2.0, 2017) [2016-2020]. Norwegian and Danish Meteorological Institutes. Available from http://osisaf.met.no. , https://doi.org/10.15770/EUM_SAF_OSI_0008 [last accessed August 18 2020].
All intellectual property rights of the OSI SAF products belong to EUMETSAT. The use of these products is granted to every interested user, free of charge. If you wish to use these products, EUMETSAT copyright credit must be shown by displaying the words "copyright (year) EUMETSAT" on each of the products used.