COSP (The CFMIP Observation Simulator Package)
Simulated device: ISCCP, CALIPSO, CloudSat, MODIS
Contact: (within HD(CP)²) Christine Nam (firstname.lastname@example.org)
cloud fraction, sunlit fraction, Lidar (CALIPSO) high, mid, and lowlevel cloud fractions, ISCCP total cloud area fraction, cloud top pressure (Pa), cloud albedo, optical thickness tau
Minimum set of physical quantities:
- Profiles of temperature, pressure, geometric altitude of model levels (and half-levels), geopotential height (and half-levels), specific humidity,
- total/convective cloud amount, mixing ratio of cloud water and cloud ice, fractional surface coverage (ice, water, land) and corresponding surface temperatures, surface pressure,
- effective radius of ice and liquid particles, flux of rain, snow, graupel, assumed lidar ice shape (spherical), sunlit region, optical depth of statiform/convective clouds at 0.67micron, longwave emissivity of stratiform/convective clouds at 10.5microns, and model cloud overlap assumption,
- offline: the hydrometeor spectrum
Need for a special grid?
- No special grid necessary.
Are parameters given via namelist or have to be coded?
Are there special requirements to the input quantities?
Documentation: yes (http://cfmip.metoffice.com/COSP.html)
Models for application: at least ECHAM5, ECHAM6, CNRM, IPSL/LMD, HADGEM, CANAM, CAM, etc...
Suitable for MESSy?:
Format of input data:
Format of output data: netcdf or GRIB or HDF-5
Computational costs: Depends on calling frequency. If it's called in every time step around the same as the host model itself.
"COSP is now managed by a Project Management Committee (PMC), that consists of the following members: Y. Zhang, M. J. Webb, R. Pincus, R. Marchand, S. A. Klein (co-chair), V. O. John, J. M. Haynes, J.-L. Dufresne, H. Chepfer, S. Bony, and A. Bodas-Salcedo (co-chair). "